Capital gains

Understanding your obligations

If you make a profit when you sell or transfer an asset (like property, stocks or shares), you could have to pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on it.

Because CGT applies when you sell something that’s increased in value, it’s relevant to both businesses and individuals – from professional landlords or property developers to business owners looking to sell up.

CGT only applies to the amount of profit you’ve made, not the entire sum that you sold your asset for.
Even gifting assets to family members can lead to a CGT lability.

Planning ahead can be absolutely crucial to reducing the amount of CGT you have to pay. That’s why we always recommend working with an accountant before you go ahead with any sale or transfer – so we can fully review your tax position and determine which concessions, structures, or allowances you can take advantage of.

Why do I need an accountant for Capital Gains?

CGT is a complex area with many rules, exemptions and caveats. A specialist advisor can help sift through every detail to make sure you’re always compliant but never paying more CGT than you need to – saving you time, stress and money in the long run.

If you’re ready to take the next step please get in touch.


Want to take the next step?

If you're looking to further your business, our team is waiting to hear from you.

Other services

Our latest insights

From industry news to opinions from our experts, we’re all about sharing useful information and insight.

It can be hard to keep track of all the financial and regulatory changes or news you need to stay on top of when you’re running a business – but that’s why we’re here. In our blog, you’ll find useful updates and information from our team, stripped of jargon and made easy to understand.


Ready to connect?

If you’re curious about how we can help you, please reach out: our team is very keen to hear from you.

Xero Platinum partner logo
Sage logo
ICAEW logo
ACCA logo
Quickbooks logo